Monday, October 1, 2012

A Happy Birthday Weekend

Yesterday was... my birthday!  Yep, I'm one quarter of a century young.  To celebrate, I spent a lazy Sunday with my sister and my mom at their house in Huntley, Illinois, a small little town of pretty trees, open space, and lots of pumpkin farms. 
All I really wanted this year was an enjoyable, simple day- no presents, and no big outing or celebration.  I woke up on Sunday to a delicious breakfast, and this year, I actually bought my mom and sister gifts.  Truly, I would not be here without them, and we have been through a lot together.  I figured since I don't really need anything and I am so thankful for the both of them, I may as well give them some presents.
After breakfast, we headed out on what was a beautiful Illinois Autumn day and went to a couple of pumpkin farms.  I have developed, only in the past handful of years, a real appreciation for simple things: time outside, few material possessions, not a lot of excess- in life, relationships, possessions, words, or thoughts- and I told my mom and sister I really just wanted a simple day.  It must be the result of old age.   
At one of the local farms, I bought some funky Fall gourds (I'm thinking display pieces for my next art show in three weeks...) and some pumpkins, which we later carved and crafted.  A few weeks ago I had mentioned to my sister that since I started working 40+ hours a week, I feel like I don't get as much time for creative projects- so she set up an awesome spread of Fall-y crafts for us to do outside (food and drink included.)
We wrapped up the evening with some fresh flat bread pizza- brie, apple, and chicken on white bread and blackberry and cranberry-infused goat cheese on wheat- handmade by my food-savvy sister.  I couldn't have asked for a better day.  So much has changed in my life over the past five or six years- and I'm not at all sad about getting older.  This was actually probably the first birthday I've had in a while where I really, really felt that way- that I am exactly where I should be in life and my birthday doesn't mark a passage of time I wish I had back.  I think it has something to do with the fact that life is progressing, unfolding- I am in a desirable spot and I feel that my future will be good.  It's nice, to be 25 and finally excited for the rest of my life. 

xoxo

No comments: